Wood: 60 Uses, Stone: 132 Uses, Iron: 251 Uses, Gold: 33 Uses, Diamond: 1562 Uses
Pickaxes are one of the most commonly used tools in the game, being required to mine all ores and many other blocks. Different qualities of Pickaxe are required to mine different types of ores and blocks. For example, while Stone can be mined with any Pickaxe, an Iron Pickaxe or higher is required to mine Gold Ore, otherwise the player won't get any Ore. Different Pickaxes also mine materials at different speeds.
The Pickaxe is used in the game to mine blocks. A Pickaxe is the most important tool to go further in the game of Minecraft, being impossible to complete the game without it.
The following are either broken more quickly with a pickaxe, or need a pickaxe of a certain type (or better) to be broken/harvested.
- Diamond Ore (Iron or diamond pickaxe)
- Gold Ore (Iron or diamond pickaxe)
- Iron Ore (Stone, iron or diamond pickaxe)
- Coal Ore (All pickaxes can mine this ore)
- Lapis Lazuli Ore (Stone, iron or diamond pickaxe)
- Redstone Ore (Iron or diamond pickaxe)
- Stone (all picks can break this ore)
- Obsidian (Diamond Pickaxe)
- Cobblestone (all)
- Moss Stone (all)
- Nether Brick (stone)
- Nether Brick Fence
- Netherrack (all)
- Stone Brick
To craft a Pickaxe requires 2 sticks plus 3 of any of the following: wood planks (any type), cobblestone blocks, iron ingots, gold ingots, or diamonds. There are; Wooden Pickaxe, Stone Pickaxe, Iron Pickaxe, Gold Pickaxe, and Diamond Pickaxe.
The 3 achievements involved with the Pickaxe are Time To Mine! For making a Pickaxe, Getting An Upgrade by making a Stone Pickaxe and MOAR Tools by constructing one type of each tool including a Pickaxe.
- It is unwise to waste gold on pickaxes, as they are not needed to mine anything specific and the pickaxe isn't that durable. A gold pickaxe will not harvest gold ore. Gold Pickaxes only have 33 uses.
- Foam Iron Pickaxes are official Minecraft merchandise.