Ores are important blocks in Minecraft. Ores are primarily collected for crafting purposes, such as for tools and armor. Redstone Ore breaks into Redstone dust, which is used as a type of "wiring" that can be used to carry an "electric" current.
Distributions of Ore is currently the same as in PC version of Minecraft.
|Ore type||Most found on...||Commonly found up to...||Rare on layers...||None at or above...||Pickaxe needed for drop||Found in...|
|Coal Ore||Layers 5-52||Layer 128||Layer 129-131||Layer 132||Any pickaxe||Overworld|
|Iron Ore||Layers 5-54||Layer 64||Layer 65-67||Layer 68||Stone, Iron or Diamond||Overworld|
|Lapis Lazuli Ore||Layers 14-16 [note 1]||Layer 23||Layer 31-33||Layer 34||Stone, Iron or Diamond||Overworld|
|Gold Ore||Layers 5-29||Layer 29||Layer 31-33||Layer 34||Iron or Diamond||Overworld|
|Diamond Ore||Layers 5-12||Layer 12||Layer 13-15||Layer 17||Iron or Diamond||Overworld|
|Redstone Ore||Layers 5-12||Layer 12||Layer 13-15||Layer 17||Iron or Diamond||Overworld|
- ↑ Unlike other ores, which are found at a relatively constant rate through most of their range, lapis lazuli's frequency peaks around layer 15, and slowly tapers off above and below.
Redstone has the same layer and line-size statistics as Diamond, but is generated 8 times per chunk as opposed to 1.
Finished raw materials
So far, Coal and Redstone are the only materials that come from an ore that lacks a block.
- Iron, Coal and Gold are the only ores that drop the actual ore block when mined with the Silk Touch Enchantment. All of the other ores drop the usable item when mined.
- Ore veins do not pass through chunk borders.
- Lapis Lazuli Ore, Nether Quartz Ore and Emerald Ore are the only ores that do not have the same texture as the other ores. All of the other ores have the same texture, but with a different color.
- Gold ore is the only ore that can't be mined by its own pickaxe.
- Iron, Gold and Diamond are the only ores that can be used to make tools.